Hello again, we hope our US readers are enjoying the long Labor Day weekend. We have a quick post with several newsbytes and then a glance at Labor Day weekend Sales & Savings.
First, Kate and William enjoyed a Thursday night out, dining in the pub at The Kings Head Hotel, not far from Anmer Hall, their country home. Camilla Tominey’s story in The Sunday Express has details on the couple’s ‘date night,’ and there is also a story in The Daily Star Sunday. (Photo is lower right.)
The other photographs published yesterday show the couple as they returned to London from Norfolk, where Anmer Hall is located. The Mirror has a gallery of photos from the couple’s arrival at King’s Cross; those images may be seen here, and also at Pop Sugar and the Daily Mail. Lupo was with the pair, but not Prince George.
In the pictures Kate is seen wearing a button-front shirt beneath a v-neck sweater and her skinny jeans. She was carrying her Tod’s G-bag, as well as an oversized tote that turns out to be by Sandstorm Kenya, the brand’s Odyssey model.
Additionally last week, there were reports via Twitter that Kate was shopping at Harvey Nichols on Wednesday, with one group of Twitter posts saying she was looking at Roland Mouret dresses, the other saying she purchased Clarins products. The company has held a Royal Warrant for 7 years.
There is very interesting news from a story in the The Sunday Times claiming the Duke and Duchess could do a royal tour in China.
PLANS are being drawn up for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to make a historic royal tour of China, The Sunday Times can reveal.
Sources have confirmed that Kensington Palace and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office are in talks about a potential trip that which would take place next year.
The story is behind a paywall, available only to subscribers.
Also this weekend, a quick note about a US brand’s entry into the UK market, the news comes via WWD (Women’s Wear Daily, subscription req’d.):
Lands’ End has begun opening shops-in-shop inside the House of Fraser department store chain in the U.K.
The first Lands’ End shop-in-shop, 395 square feet in size, opened in the Norwich location of House of Fraser last week. Four other shops will open through September at the British retailer’s Lakeside, Birmingham, Bournemouth and Bristol locations
The WWD story notes that Lands’ End merchandise is being offered online at House of Fraser. For our friends across the pond who might not be as familiar with the brand, I would compare it to a cross between Joules and Orvis, without the emphasis on fishing, hunting and other gear.
Many of our US-based readers are enjoying an extended weekend as Monday is Labor Day, marking the unofficial end of summer and the return to classes for many students. It is also the time when retailers are heavily discounting summer inventory in efforts to make room for fall styles. I thought you might like a brief list of the sales and savings opportunities being offered this weekend.
- We’ll begin with Orvis, since we just mentioned them above. Sale items are an additional 25% off at Orvis USA (not Orvis UK), including many styles by Barbour.
- Reiss is still doing its end of season sale. We show (left to right) the Jade dress (now $120), the fitted Calais funnel neck coat (now $243), Luna dress skirt (now $84) and navy Bryan skirt (now $92). Reiss also has quite a few shoe styles marked down. The retailer is offering free shipping on orders placed by midnight Monday evening.
- LK Bennett is offering an additional 40% off sale merchandise on the US site, but not on the UK site. Use promo code LD40 at checkout to receive the additional discount. Below you see the Lamar sleeveless dress on the left and the Gisele tailored dress on the right.
- Nordstrom is touting savings ‘up to 40%’ at its clearance event. The company’s Nordstrom Rack off-price brand is taking 25% off clearance merchandise.
- Many a WKWer has found copyKate treasures at J. Crew; this weekend the company is taking 40% off Final Sale items and free shipping on orders over $100. Use promocode WEEKEND to recieve the additional savings. From left to right we show the Origami Dress in wool crepe (also available in tall and petite sizing), Telegraph Pencil Skirt in super 120s wool, the EmmaLeigh dress, and Mirabelle silk chiffon dress. There is also a ‘select’ group of styles that are 50% off.
- Off 5th (the Saks Fifth Avenue discount site) is taking 40% off one’s entire order, although there are some exclusions). Use promo code LABORDAY for the additional 40% off, and if your order totals more than $75 use promo code SHIP75 for free shipping. This brings the price of a popular repliKate down to about $168: below we show the Via Spiga Faux Fur Collar coat, we wrote about the piece in this post last week because of its similarity to the Temperley Odele coat, at that time the Off 5th price was $223.99. The cost at Macy’s was quite a bit more, running $359.99 before the Macy’s extra 15% discount. (See next bullet point.)
- Macy’s has multiple promotions running this weekend, including 20% off a sizable amount of merchandise throughout the store, and an additional 25% off clearance merchandise. Use promo code DEALS for the extra savings.
- Neiman Marcus is promoting savings ‘up to 40% off‘ in store and online. The brand’s off price site, Last Call, promises a dizzying “extra 35% – 75% off everything” online and in-store.
With that we say goodbye until next time!
NEXT APPEARANCE: Monday, September 8th at St. Hugh’s College. (More info here.)
NOTE: The post originally said Kate was carrying her D-style bag from Tod’s, that is not correct. The copy now reflects an accurate description, she was carrying her G-style bag from Tod’s. Many thanks to Anna of My Small Obsessions for letting me know about the error.