EDITOR’S NOTE: This post was written before the news of Nelson Mandela’s death. Those in London watching the Premiere of “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom” were told about his death as the credits were rolling. Prince William gave a brief statement following the film, saying the South African leader was “an extraordinary and inspiring man.” The statement may be seen here.
The couple appeared subdued as they left the theater.
The event is a benefit for the Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund. and the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund. As you can see, there was a crowd on hand to see the stars and others arrive at the Odeon Leicester Square.
The film’s stars walked the red carpet in very brisk weather. Below we see Simon Perry’s photo of Naomie Harris, she plays Winnie Mandela in the movie. On the right, Rebecca English of the Daily Mail shared this photo of Idris Elba, he plays Nelson Mandela.
Both actors are British. Rebecca English has more on how Mr. Elba felt about the film’s London premiere in her Daily Mail story:
‘Tonight is extra special because this is my country and when the royals come out to watch a film it’s. a big deal. I feel very proud that it’s my film, really proud.’
More on the film from the CTBF:
This epic motion picture spans Mandela’s extraordinary life, from his childhood in a rural village through to his inauguration as the first democratically elected President of South Africa. MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM is the thrilling story of an ordinary man who rose to the challenge of his times and triumphed – an intimate portrait of the making of a modern icon.
Kate’s gown is the “Lombard,” inspired by actress Carole Lombard.
The Duchess previously wore it to the Thirty Club private dinner at Claridge’s in May of 2012.
Net-a-Porter continues to offer an almost identical dress, the ‘Ella.‘ The dress is an off-white wool crepe like Kate’s, and most of the design details are alike; the piece sells for $4610.
Kate accessorized with new pieces this evening, perhaps most notably, the statement necklace she had on. With thanks to Kristen on the WKW Facebook page, we can share that it is Zara’s Sparkly Crystal Bead Necklace.
The necklace sells for $35.90 in the US, reports on our FB page were that a Boston Zara still has a good supply of the necklaces. The Duchess did not wear any earrings, perhaps she thought they would “fight” with the strong necklace.
Kate also wore a pair of shoes we hadn’t previously noted.
We also saw what appears to be a new bag for the Duchess, a black clutch.
Some believe it to be by Mulberry, I haven’t had time to look closely at it or compare it to suggested pieces.
UPDATED DEC 15, 2013:
The piece can be carried as either a shoulder bag (there is a detachable chain) or clutch, it has several interior sections, including a zippered pocket, and closes with that recognizeable postman’s lock. The bag is shown as being sold out at Mulberry in black leather but available in several other leather colors. If interested in other items Mulberry does ship to the US for a £20 fee. For US shoppers, Mulberry is also carried by My Theresa. Many thanks to Ashley Marie and Anna for their ID on the piece.
Kate’s hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail, tied with a black velvet ribbon.
As Royal Photographer Mark Stewart noted, “From Tiara to Zara for the Duchess of Cambridge this week.”
Also today, a look at what Kate wore when taking Prince George for a walk yesterday; the photos may be seen on PopSugar. The Duchess was in mostly familiar pieces:
- Those J. Brand Skinny jeans we have seen on multiple occasions
- Her trusty Ladies Defence jacket by Barbour
- The gloves appear to be the Fownes gloves worn when she and Prince William helped launch the Saint Andrews 600th Anniversary fundraising efforts in March of 2011
- Kate’s baseball cap is by 5.11 Tactical, a company that primarily services the military and law enforcement personnel. (The name “5.11” comes from the Yosemite Decimal System ranking difficulty levels of rock climbing.)
- The stroller is by Silver Cross, it is their Sleepover Elegance Pram System in navy. As one would anticipate, it is not inexpensive, prices for this pram run from . John Lewis carries Silver Cross, and they do ship to the US Silver Cross is a storied British brand, royal babies have been pushed in their prams for generations. E! Online has the company’s comments on the royals using their product:
“For many years, Silver Cross have provided royalty across the world with their prams and are delighted that the Duke and Duchess have chosen the premier British brand for Prince George,” a rep for the company says. “With over 130 years experience in manufacturing prams we are certain the Prince will enjoy his Silver Cross.” Several retailers carry the pram, in the UK John Lewis has it,
- We will update with info on what appears to be an infinity scarf, as well as the sneakers Kate is wearing (we’ve seen them before, I just have to look them up)
- Friday, Dec 6th: Kate will have tea with children and family members at the Shooting Star Children’s Hospice. She will also watch a music therapy session and meet volunteers. In addition to Kate’s interest in the children’s hospice movement, this comes under the umbrella of her EACH Patronage.
- Read the NY Times obit here, CNN’s obituary is here, (both of those pages are laden with links to wonderful photographs, graphics videos and more), S. Africa’s Business Day Live is filled with coverage, click here to visit the publication’s home page
- Nelson Mandela’s retirement video may be seen here, you can read some of the tributes on the Nelson Mandela Facebook page, or visit the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund (US page)
- The Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund’s website is here, its Twitter feed is here, Facebook page is here, You Tube channel is here