We have an update about the Fundraiser launched last week by a group of royal bloggers. You may recall it benefits EACH (East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices), and donations have been coming in at a steady rate, many of you have been very generous indeed. The effort is called Baby Cambridge Fundraiser, in honor of William and Kate’s first child, it seems like such a good reason to band together for the collective good.
We are doing a series of giveaways, auctions and other things to raise awareness of the Fundraiser and boost donations. Last week we kicked things off with a giveaway made possible by Links of London.
Links generously donated the three prizes shown above. Our Grand Prize Winner, soon to be a new owner of a pair of Kate’s Hope Egg earrings is…… Erin! You may recall we asked everyone to leave a comment sharing something they hope for, this is what Erin shared:
“I am currently pregnant, my hope is for a healthy baby!”
The winner of our 2nd Prize will receive a pair of the Effervescence Bubble Stiletto earrings. That lucky person is Courtney, here is part of her comment:
“I hope this fundraiser is successful enough to make a difference for these children and their families!”
And the winner of the Links ‘Sweetie Bracelet is Jenny C., she shared this:
“I hope that EACH’s fundraising is a success and is able to help children in need.”
If our three lucky Links winners would email me (Susan@WhatKateWore.com) with shipping information, we will get things moving so the jewelry is soon winging its way to your ears or wrist!
I wanted to share that the level of thought going into the comments was simply wonderful. Your thoughts and hopes and dreams were encouraging and uplifting. Many dealt with children and/or hospice:
- My hope is for these hospice children to have days filled with joy, love and laughter and plenty of distraction from the reason they’re there.
- I hope that Kate’s baby brings her as much joy as my son has brought me. I hope all mothers feel this way about their children.
- I hope that children will never suffer at the hands of others.
- I hope that through my future career in medicine I can make a difference in people’s lives and that less families will need the services of EACH and other organizations like them.
Others addressed different topics:
- I hope that everyone tries to make another person’s life easier each and every day.
- I HOPE that as a cancer survivor I never have a recurrence, and that one day there will truly be a cure for ALL cancers.
- I hope to be a successful physician and get into a good residency so I will learn to become the best doctor I can be.
- I hope to some day be blessed to be a mother.
- I hope my unborn baby is healthy.
- I hope for my daughter’s future to be filled with love.
- I hope for many things. That disabled children, like my son, are helped and sucessful as they can be in life. I hope your project goes well and I hope that many children are helped by this organization and the families have the support they need during difficult times.
- After just losing both my parents, and my mother-in-law to cancer within the past 8 months, I hope that we continue to strive for answers to beat this horrible disease. I also hope for people to always pass on the kindness that they have been shown to others.
- I hope I can also make a small difference in someone’s life by giving back to my community.
- I hope that we continue to discuss the charities that Kate is supporting.
Many comments referenced the reason we had a giveaway: to raise awareness of the work EACH does, and hopefully bring in more donations for our EACH.
- I hope that you exceed your fundraising goals!!!
- I hope that this giveaway raises great awareness for the work that EACH is doing!
I apologize for the delay in getting this posted, we had a couple of glitches using Rafflecopter for the first time. Yours truly neglected to do one key thing (that had no impact on entries or contest itself), and then we encountered difficulty extracting the data to verify email signup. Thanks again to Links of London for being such a terrific partner.
That brings us to the second part of our post, word about another Baby Cambridge Giveaway, this one is being hosted by the one and only Charlotte over at HRH Duchess Kate.
The Second Prize winner will receive a Vix Cayman Bikini in a Small and a pair of the Flip Flops in a 39/8. Charlotte’s post also has insight from Biondi Couture, a Chelsea boutique, on swimwear fit and what to do about covering up those “less appealing” parts of one’s figure. (I was surprised by this part.)
I mentioned in a previous post that most of the Fundraiser giveaways would be open to entries worldwide, that includes this one. We only have one request: if you haven’t donated to the Fundraiser, please think about making even the smallest of gifts, $2 or £2, it all makes an enormous difference for EACH. They do amazing work at their hospices, and Kate is doing a fabulous job shining a light on the benefits of children’s hospices.
A little more on what donations can accomplish from our Just Giving page, the site where you can donate:
- $7.50 pays for art and craft materials for a session of specialist play
- $15 allows for catering staff to prepare and cook meals for family members staying at the hospice
A look at our progress 10 days into the fundraising campaign.
We have a few more quick updates on other topics:
- A number of engagements have been added to Prince William’s calendar, including an event with Prince Harry benefiting Help For Heroes, and another with Prince Charles regarding illegal wildlife trade, but thus far nothing has been officially released about appearances for Kate, we do show June events in our calendar that we think she might attend
- Kate continues to spend time in Anglesey, she has been seen on a few occasions according to multiple Twitter posts
- Prince Harry has arrived in the US, he spent a good part of his first day here on Capitol Hill, making an unannounced appearance with First Lady Michelle Obama & Dr. Jill Biden, Vice-President Biden’s wife.
- More on Harry’s schedule from a news release:
“While in Washington, Prince Harry, who has himself fought in Afghanistan, will visit Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia to lay wreaths at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier and in Section 60, the resting place for soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. He will also visit Walter Reed National Military Medical Center to meet recovering wounded personnel and learn more about advances in prosthetics technology.
- Harry joined Sen. John McCain for a look at the new HALO Trust exhibition in the Russell Office Building
- Sen McCain tweeted this photo following a look at the exhibit with the Prince.
- It seems Harry’s visit is having quite the effect on women inside the beltway, more from Richard Palmer:
- Max Foster’s CNN story can be seen here.
We’ll be back with a more standard post covering in a few days.
Friday 10th of May 2013
Congrats to the winners of the awesome giveaway! Although I am disappointed, it was wonderful to participate and THANK YOU to Susan and the consortium of bloggers for spearheading the EACH fundraising effort.
As a born and raised Washingtonian, I can absolutely attest to the hysterical Hill staffers--it usually takes someone like Prince Harry to get the screams going. ;)
NOTE: Edited to remove political reference.
Friday 10th of May 2013
I absolutely loved Mrs. Obama's outfit yesterday! Definately had a Kate vibe to it from the floral prints to her full curled hair.