SUNDAY APRIL 10: MUMBAI
- Taj Palace Hotel: The hotel was one of the sites of the deadly Mumbai terrorist attacks in 2008. Kate & William will lay a wreath at a memorial inside the hotel & also meet staff who helped protect guests during the 4-day siege.
- Oval Maidan: The couple will watch a cricket match showcasing young people and also meet representatives of three charities:
- Magic Bus: Steers children “toward a better life with better awareness, better life skills and better opportunities.”
- Doorstep School: A literacy organization providing “education and support to the often-forgotten children of pavement dwellers, slum dwellers, construction site families and many other underprivileged families.”
- Childline India: A 24-hour helpline for children in distress anywhere in India.
- The next stop is at the historic Banganga Water Tank; while here Kate & William will meet representatives of children’s charity Smile
- Red Carpet Gala 7:30pmish: Tonight’s reception and dinner are being held in honor of the Duke and Duchess, it is sure to be a glamorous, glittering party showcasing Bollywood film stars, sports legends and fashion designers. Hosted by the British Asian Trust, the event will raise money for the three organizations first mentioned at the cricket event: Magic Bus, Doorstep School and Childline India.
MONDAY APRIL 11: MUMBAI / NEW DELHI
- GREAT campaign event at a bar/restaurant/internet cafe called The Social where the couple will meet young entrepreneurs
- Flight to New Delhi
- India Gate: Kate & William lay a wreath at this site, a war memorial.
- Gandhi Smriti Museum: The Museum houses Old Birla House, where Mahatma Gandhi lived the last several months of his life and where he was assassinated in 1948.
- Queen’s Birthday Party: This event at the British High Commissioner’s residence will be “Attended by hundreds of VIPs from the world of government and politics.” William delivers remarks allowing him to “personally pay tribute to his grandmother.”
TUESDAY APRIL 12: NEW DELHI / KAZIRANGA
- AM: Specifics have not yet been announced, other than to say a morning engagement will “allow The Duke and Duchess to see up close work to support desperately vulnerable young people in the city.”
- Lunch with Prime Minister Narenda Modi
- Travel to Kaziranga National Park, a an UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Campfire: The couple enjoy a celebration of Bohag Bihu, the Assamese New Year. (The Park is located in the state of Assam.)
WEDNESDAY APRIL 13: KAZIRANGA
- AM – Open Air Park Tour: The day begins with “an early open air drive” around the Park.
- AM – After the tour Kate & William “…have an opportunity to interact with local people in a village.”
- PM – The couple visits the Centre for Wildlife Rehabilitation and Conservation
- Kaziranga Discovery Centre: The Centre is funded by Elephant Family, a charity founded by the late Mark Shand, the Duchess of Cornwall’s brother
THURSDAY APRIL 14: KAZIRANGA / BHUTAN
- Flight to Bhutan
- Paro Airport, Thimphu: official arrival
- Thimphu Dzong:
- Kate and William take part in a traditional welcome ceremony at this ancient monastery, now the seat of Bhutan’s government.
- Following the ceremony the Duke & Duchess have a private audience with the King and Queen, followed by a walk across an open courtyard to “to a temple where they will receive a brief blessing and will light butter lamps”
- Archery: The couple watches an archery exhibition, archery is the country’s national sport
- Dinner: The Duke & Duchess have a private dinner with the King and Queen
FRIDAY APRIL 15: BHUTAN
- Paro Taktsang hike: Kate and William will hike for 5 to 6 hours until they reach Paro Taktsang, also known as Tiger’s Nest monastery.
- Reception: The final event in Bhutan is a reception with “British nationals and Bhutanese people with strong links to the UK.”
SATURDAY, APRIL 16: BHUTAN / AGRA
- Paro Airport: depart Bhutan for Agra
- Taj Mahal: Kate and William visit one of the world’s iconic buildings, also a UNESCO World Heritage site
LINKAGE: (We’ll update these as much as possible, this is merely a starting point.)
GENERAL BACKGROUND LINKS/ARTICLES/INFO:
- The official Royal Tour Storify is here
- The Telegraph’s Gordon Rayner has done a fabulous piece Why India’s slum dwellers are eager to meet William and Kate
- From Time magazine, A Brief History of British Royal Visits to India
- A magical mystery tour of breathtaking Bhutan, a 2015 Daily Mail travel piece is loaded with great photos and info
- This link will take you to a 1-minute video from Destination Bhutan, the country’s tourism arm
- From The Mirror, 5 Fascinating Facts About Kaziranga National Park
- William & Kate to Rub Shoulders with Bollywood Royalty from The Mirror
- The British Deputy High Commission news release about Sunday’s gala is here
FASHION RELATED ARTICLES/INFO:
- The Hindustan Times has great insight from different designers on Duchess in Delhi: What Should Kate Middleton wear on India Tour
- Vogue India wonders What Will the Duchess of Cambridge Wear on the India Tour?
- Hello! Canada took a look at What Kate Might Wear in India and Bhutan
- The Mirror offers The Best of Kate’s Royal Tour Outfits
- The Telegraph carried a nifty story, How the Duchess of Cambridge is packing
- People’s story from Monique Jessen: Find out what’s in Kate’s suitcase
Help yourself to these graphics if they are of any assistance in remembering the schedule.
Or the calendar graphic.