We now move to live blogging of the events in London. The most recent updates will appear at the top of the page. NOTE: Unless otherwise specified all times shown are EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)
- The Cambridge family has headed home to Kensington Palace.
- We will leave this live blog shortly to work on bringing you a post about what Kate wore this afternoon.
Ben Stevens i-Images
Kate is wearing a Jenny Packham dress, her pearl drop earrings and shoes that I haven’t looked for yet. The dress looks like a bespoke creation, perhaps a lightweight silk. I’m not sure if one could call the design dégradé, it more properly might be termed a “placed print.”
- Georgina Brewer of ITV reports that the photo of all 4 Cambridges many are hoping for won’t happen. From Georgina’s Twitter feed: “No George as Kate William and baby leave! Shame. Not the shot all media were looking for. George gone to bed and returned to KP.”
- Kensington Palace is confirming Kate will leave the hospital this evening with her new baby girl; that should happen at approximately 1:30pm EDT/10:30AM PDT (6:30 local time in London.)
- In some photos Prince George seems a little nonplussed, in others he looks quite comfortable.
- The Daily Mail’s photo laden story with George arriving at the hospital is here.
- Prince William did indeed bring Prince George back to the Lindo Wing to meet his new sister.
Ben Stevens / i-Images
- UPDATING: It will be Prince William we’ll see shortly, he is going home to spend time with Prince George.
- There is increased activity at the Lindo Wing, and while there’s no confirmation the family will be leaving soon, it seems likely a recap of live streams will be helpful:
- REUTERS: http://www.livestation.com/reuters?source=redirect
- ITV: http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-05-02/duchess-of-cambridge-gives-birth-to-a-baby-girl/
- ABC: http://abcnews.go.com/live (biggest picture)
- TELEGRAPH: http://bit.ly/TelgphLIVE
- HUFFPO UK:
- US WEEKLY:
Roya Nikkah Twitter Feed (@RoyaNikkah)
- Her Majesty is in N. Yorkshire today for a ceremony and parade with The Queen’s Royal Lancers. We’re guessing the choice of that vibrant pink coat wasn’t by accident.
- Here is a look at the official announcement at Buckingham Palace.
- And a look at the crowds lined up to see the easel in person.
© Jack Taylor / i-Images
- The Sun has a video with legendary royal photographer Arthur Edwards reacting to the news that Kate had a girl.
- Media has been told that *if* they will be coming out today, we will have 30 minutes notice.
- There are reports that Kate’s hairdresser, Amanda Cook Tucker, has arrived at the Lindo Wing. This could well point to a ‘today departure,’ I will try for verification.
We will continue to repeat the live stream information, in addition to the feeds we have embedded and viewable here on the blog. This first is ABC News, just click the arrow to get it rolling.
Other live feeds:
The Art Room
- We also had the appearance of the completely unofficial ‘town crier,’ proclaiming the news and ringing his bell.
Robin Nunn/Nunn Syndication/Polaris
Peter Hunt, BBC (@BBC Peter Hunt)
Sky News Twitter Feed
- The media at the Lindo Wing.
Ben Stevens/i-Images Picture Agency
The biggest questions at this point:
- will the Middletons come for a visit?
- will Prince George come to visit his sister?
- will Kate and the new Princess be staying the night in the hospital, or will we see her with William and the new baby on the steps of the Lindo Wing later today?
Royal Photographer Mark Stewart made this observation just moments ago.
Mark Stewart, Royal Photographer
We’ll continue to post the livestreams that are up for those just joining us.
- Congratulations from the RAF Association.
RAF Association/RAF Wings Appeal
- It must be one of the first gifts for the Princess, a Scouting babygro; it comes from the East Sheen Atlantic Beaver Scouts, shared by Simon Carter of UK Scouting
Eastr Sheen Atlantic Beaver Scouts via Simon Carter,
- Just as they did when Prince George was born, the Royal Navy sends its congratulations from the sea. From the RN Twitter feed: “HMS Lancaster, known as the ‘Queen’s Frigate’, sent a message of congratulations to @KensingtonRoyal on the new birth.”
The Royal Navy
The Today Show
- Kensington Palace wants to hear from others welcoming a new member of the family.
Reuters Live Station
- Congratulations are pouring in, many of them on Twitter. Well-wishers include Help for Heroes, an organization Princes Harry and William have been involved with
Help for Heroes
- And a charity of which Kate is patron, Place2Be
- Here is how the Kensington Palace announcement looked on Twitter.
Kensington Palace Twitter (@KensingtonRoyal)
- Kate has had a baby girl, a Princess of Cambridge.
Via Max Foster
- We’ll continue to post the livestreams that are up for those just joining us.
- If wondering what the live feed shows, it is essentially the Lindo Wing door and general activity at that entrance to the hospital. Below, ABC’s shot, just click the arrow to activate it.
- Catherine Wylie of the Press Association gives us another angle showing the media in the press pens, which continue to fill up.
Catherine Wylie, UK Press Association (@WylieCatherine)
- Royal Photographer Mark Stewart shared a screen grab showing how popular the royal birth is on twitter, with the RoyalBirth and Duchess of Cambridge out-trending David Beckham.
Mark Stewart, Royal Photographer (@RegalEyes)
Catherine Wylie, Press Association (@WylieCatherine)
Max Foster, CNN
- The Daily Mail explains background on why this baby will be 4th in line for the throne; that story is here.
- The UK Press Association reports family members have been briefed on the latest news.
- Kate’s labor is reported to be “progressing normally.” From The Sun’s live blog: “The duchess’s labour is “progressing normally” in one of six air-conditioned delivery rooms on the third floor of the building, where giving birth naturally costs up to £10,000.
- For those wondering what Prince George is doing, Simon Perry of People magazine shared this information:
Simon Perry, People Magazine
- Broadcasters have started doing live shots from the Lindo Wing, below you see Max Foster of CNN broadcasting to the US.
David Wilkinson, CNN (@DWilkinsonCNN)
- People magazine’s Monique Jessen noted that there were 21,600 tweets in the two hours following Kate’s admission to the hospital.
- 9NEWS Australia’s Tom Steinfort shared this picture of the armed police presence at the hospital
Tom Steinfort, 9News Australia (@TomStewinfort)
Jennifer Peros, Us Weekly (@JenPeros)