With yesterday’s release of the official schedule for the upcoming Royal Tour to Canada and California, we can better imagine what Kate might be wearing. The duration and broad variety of activities make for a grueling schedule.
We offer a very rough guesstimate at wardrobe possibilities for the Tour day-by-day.
Thursday, June 30:
- The serious nature of the early appointments (arrival, wreath-laying, official welcome and speeches) mandate more formal attire, expect a dress and possibly a hat.
- For the Youth Barbecue in front of Government House look for a more casual style, obviously more contingent upon weather (temperature) than almost anything else.
Friday, July 1
- We anticipate more buttoned-up styles in the morning with the 10:30am Canadian citizenship ceremony, followed by a trip via open carriage to Parliament Hill.
- The evening’s Canada Day celebrations offer more music and a spectacular fireworks show, it should bring much more casual attire, especially as it is an outdoor event.
Saturday, July 2
- For this afternoon’s tree planting and reception with veterans and military families look again for a more conservative appearance, Kate is very respectful of the enormous contributions made by the military and their families.
- The afternoon and evening scheduleÂ includes the flight from Ottawa to Montreal and visits to Children’s Hospital, as well as a cooking workshop and private dinner at the Quebec Institute of Tourism, I anticipate seeing more casual apparel and accessories.
- Expect a much more relaxed style as Kate and William travel to their next destination (Quebec City), they are taking a Canadian Naval frigate, the HMCS Montreal, to get there.
Sunday, July 3
- The day’s public events are in the afternoon, Quebec City’s ‘Freedom of the City’ celebration and another community gala, we imagine these will be moderately casual appearances before the couple leaves for PEI (Prince Edward Island).
Monday, July 4
- A bit more formality should be on tap for the morning’s events on PEI, the couple meets the Premier and Prince William also offers brief remarks. Look for relaxed styles in the afternoon, especially the dragon boat race (an activity Kate is quite adept at), Kate and William will each have their own boat to steer. Later they’ll be on board a Coast Guard vessel and Prince takes part in a helicopter search and rescue demonstration.
Tuesday, July 5
- Kate & William are likely to be relatively casual for their meeting in Yellowknife with aboriginal leaders and a youth parliament session, Kate is expected to take some role in a street hockey game that afternoon and there are several other outdoor activities on the agenda.
Wednesday, July 6
- This day is set aside for the Duke and Duchess to enjoy private time together (good for them).
Thursday, July 7
- As Kate and Prince William arrive in Calgary we expect casual clothing (think almost rodeo-appropriate) for the ‘white-hatting’ ceremony, followed by a hospital tour, capped off with a reception at the Stampede hosted by Prime Minister Harper.
Friday, July 8
- This may be where we see those bright red J Brand 811 jeans Kate purchased last week, the morning’s Calgary Stampede parade is the perfect setting for them, William and Kate are expected to travel along the length of the route before officially starting the Parade. They will then watch part of the parade before heading to a park where they may lay flowers at a monument to Canadian Armed Forces.
- The Duke and Duchess leave Canada for Los Angeles early afternoon
- With two receptions Friday evening, including one at the home of the British Consular-General, look for Kate to be semi-formal, wearing a British designer.
Saturday, July 9
- Kate will be fairly casual for the charity polo match at the Santa Barbara Polo & Racquet Club, she is expected to formally award the prize(s). This is perhaps the event where Kate is most likely to recognize her host country, possibly sporting a style or two from a US designer, perhaps even one that is California-based. Unless the weather is dreadful the look will be dressier than some of the denim ensembles we have previously seen Kate wear to polo matches.
- This will be Kate’s night to shine, the black-tie reception in Los Angeles for BAFTA (British Academy of Film & Television Arts) is a prime opportunity for Kate to showcase another UK fashion house.
- With visits planned to the Inner-City Arts School, a Sony Studios tour, and attendance at the Service Nation: Mission Serve job fair (also happening on Sony property) we are thinking the Duchess will be casual – no jeans or denim, possibly a sundress and shrug. Again, the weather will have significant impact on what Kate wears.
- Expect a change of clothes for Kate in preparation for the long flight home, the couple is flying commercial so she will want to be comfortable.
If looking for a detailed copy of the schedule, we have posted it on our Facebook page under the “Notes” section, or visit the Official Tour site. We leave you with an updated (larger) version of the official photo for the Tour.