For today’s SportsAid workshop Kate was in pieces we have seen before.
Kate has been patron of the organization since April; the group provides financial aid and other support to young athletes. SportsAid’s impact is substantial: two-thirds of the Team GB Athletes competing at last year’s Olympic and Paralympic Games received assistance from SportsAid at one stage of their athletic careers.
The Duchess became patron of the organisation last year and was, said aides, keen to meet the athletes it was helping face-to-face and get a ‘detailed insight into the challenges they face’.
It was Kate’s first solo public engagement since the birth of her baby son Prince George.
Olympian Leon Taylor shared this photo of Kate in the mentoring workshop.
Kate in a workshop session.
Another look at Kate speaking with British Wheelchair Basketball team members.
The Duchess clearly enjoyed her time with SportsAid staff, coaches, and athletes.
SportsAid trustee Mark Davies tweeted about Kate’s involvement and interest.
Kate then joined in a volleyball game.
More from People magazine’s story:
“She was really good,” Jordan Dalrymple, a volleyball player who’s benefitted from SportsAid, told PEOPLE of Kate’s effort at the net. “She told me she has played beach volleyball before. We were quite impressed. She had the basic skills down – and in heels.”
Most readers will recognize the pieces Kate wore today, we saw them quite a bit during the Olympics last summer.
Kate had on her Smythe One Button Blazer, shown below at Neiman Marcus.
(This was a spring 2011 piece and it is no longer in stock, the picture is merely shown so you can better see details of the garment.) It appears Saks has the Blazer in stock in almost all sizes.
Kate was also wearing skinny jeans by J. Brand. There are different opinions on precisely what pair Kate is wearing. Some think it is the 811 Photo Ready shown below left, others believe it is the 811 Skinny Leg seen below right.
Stylistically they look identical to me. Both have 11-inch leg openings and a 29-inch inseam. The distinction comes in fabric weight and content: the Photo Ready is a heavier weight fabric with a touch of polyester in addition to the cotton and Lycra both pair have. Still others think it is the same pair worn to the Olympics several times, seen above in the photo with Prince William.
UPDATED: With thanks to Eftha, J. Brand says the Duchess was in the 811 Mid-Rise Skinny Leg in navy.
Today’s function also brought the return of those Stuart Weitzman Corkswoon wedges we saw so often during the London 2012 Games, Kate purchased hers at Russell and Bromley. As for playing volleyball in heels that high? More from the Express:
The extra inches of the black cork wedges may have given the duchess a height advantage but she made the most of it as she leapt to reach balls.
Tim Lawler, chief executive of SportsAid, said: “I’m no volleyball expert but I thought she did great. She showed good skills and hand-eye co-ordination.”
He added, joking, that his patron, who was attending her first public SportsAid event, realised she would have to change her footwear for the next visit: “She said ‘I must remember to bring my trainers next time – this is great fun’.”
The shoes are no longer available in the navy suede version, but they are available in other colors at several retailers, and at discounted prices. We show them below at Neiman Marcus, currently selling at $160.
And the Duchess wore her Kiki McDonough Grace earrings once again.
One last image, Kate leaving the Arena. The photo was shared by People’s Simon Perry.
Also today, we want to share updates on several items that have been re-issued or their stock replenished.
- The navy ASOS Maternity dress worn by Kate is back in stock, selling at $44.50 and it has a new name: the Kate dress.
- Many thanks to WKW Facebook friend Stephanie Champion Helton, she alerted us to news that an LK Bennett outlet has opened in the Chicago area. The store opened at the new Fashion Outlets of Chicago shopping center in early August.
- In other news about LK Bennett, the company’s fall sale is underway.
- Another item back in stock (but not on sale), LK Bennett’s Darwin jacket.
- The cashmere coat Kate wore to Cambridge last November has been reissued by MaxMara. At the risk of being repetitive, guess what the coat is now called? Yep, it is the Kate, available at House of Fraser. The garment is priced at £875, approximately $1400 USD.
- Many thanks to WKW Facebook friend Tiffanie, she let us know about the special Royal Infant stamp being offered by Canada Post.
- Next Wednesday (the 23rd) is Prince George’s christening, the private event begins at 3pm London time, 10am EDT, 7am PDT.
- Next Thursday (the 24th) Kate attends the 100 Women in Hedge Funds gala at Kensington Palace
- Visit the SportsAid website here, the group’s Facebook page is here
- The Telegraph‘s video story can be viewed here
- Another volleyball video from The Daily Mail and The Globe is here
- The Mail’s online story, laden with photos, is here
- Gordon Rayner’s story in the Telegraph is here
- The Express story about the event is here