We rarely do entire posts dedicated to a future engagement, but news of Kate and William’s upcoming trip to New York merits a deviation from the norm.
From the news release about the visit: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit the USA between 7th and 9th December 2014.” Below, William and Kate arriving in Los Angeles in July 2011. That trip was part of the North American Tour, undertaken in July of that year.
First, a look at the focus of the trip, via the news release:
The Duke and Duchess will attend events on behalf of the Royal Foundation and other charities with which Their Royal Highnesses are closely associated, and also on behalf of HM Government.
The charitable themes will include promoting sustainable conservation issues with a particular focus on collaborative working to tackle the illegal wildlife trade, and also supporting organisations which reflect Their Royal Highnesses’ interest in young people’s mental health and the importance supporting disadvantaged young people from an early age.
On to their itinerary:
Sunday, December 7th: Kate and William arrive Sunday evening. They will attend a private function with the American Friends of The Royal Foundation
Monday, December 8th:
- Kate will visit a child development center with New York’s First Lade, Chirlane McRay
- The Duchess will attend a lunch hosted by the British Consul General in New York. Below, Kate and William at the July 2011 Consul-General’s reception in Los Angeles.
- Prince William will be in Washington DC, where he’ll attend the World Bank Anti-Corruption Conference and a luncheon afterward.
- Prince William then returns to the city for a reception Tusk Trust and United for Wildlife partners: Wildlife Conservation Society; Conservation International and The Nature Conservancy
- in the evening the couple attend an NBA game between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Brooklyn Nets. The purpose of this event is to announce a joint initiative with the NBA, the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, and the recently launched United for Wildlife. (It also means Kate & William get to see “King James” (Lebron James) in action.
Tuesday, December 9th:
- The Duke and Duchess “visit a youth organisation to see the work they carry out in partnership with an inner city youth development foundation.” I expect the visit will be somewhat similar to Kate & William’s Los Angeles visit to the Inner-City Arts program in a very rough area of Los Angeles, also part of the North American Tour. (Not similar in terms of the painting the couple took part in, but in learning about the center and its work with children.)
- Kate & William will attend a reception in conjunction with GREAT, the United Kingdom’s campaign promoting UK products, tourism and other endeavors. From the organization’s website: “The GREAT Britain campaign showcases the very best of what Britain has to offer.” Some may recall Kate’s at a GREAT event prior to the 2012 Olympics, the Duchess is seen arriving at that function in this photo.
- The couple’s final engagement will be at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, a dinner for the University of Saint Andrews 600th Anniversary. William is the Patron of the fundraising campaign tied to the anniversary, and Kate and William have participated in a number of events related to the event. The 600th Anniversary fundraising campaign kicked off in March 2011, that occasion was one of Kate and William’s first joint engagements. Kate wore her Luisa Spagnoli suit for that event.
- There was also a fundraising dinner and gala at Middle Temple Hall in November of 2012. Kate wore the Amoret gown by Temperley London that evening.
As calculated by Jordon Lee on Twitter, the couple will have four joint engagements, 2 solo events for Kate and 4 solo functions for Prince William. Not listed on the itinerary is a visit to the September 11th Memorial and Museum, presumably this is to be a private visit.
Obviously this is exciting news for most Kate fashion followers. We will have another post looking at the schedule, what designers the Duchess might wear, and other details of the trip shortly.
- Click here for the official news release about the trip