Remember this graphic from September 8th of last year?
Or these tweets from Clarence House that same day?
Yes, we are back with a review of the royal maternity wardrobe.
In this first portion of the post we’ll let the photos and descriptors speak for themselves.
- Singapore State Visit: Alexander McQueen coat, Jane Taylor Hat, Jenny Packham ‘Roxy bag’, black suede UFO heels, Mappin & Webb pendant necklace
- History Museum Photography Awards: Jenny Packham bespoke dress (off the rack version may be seen here), Alexander McQueen clutch, ‘Agata’ LK Bennett suede sandals, Monica Vinader ‘Riva’ Diamond Cluster Necklace and Necklace and Earrings
- Action on Addiction Autumn Gala: ‘Emblem’ dress by Temperley London, vintage clutch, Jimmy Choo ‘Cosmic’ heels
- Wales Engagements: Matthew Williamson wool blend coat, silk animal print dress by Hobbs, Aquatalia Rhumba boots, black Muse clutch by Stuart Weitzman
- Remembrance Sunday: Alexander McQueen Flared Wool Coat, Tuxedo Trim Matte Jersey Dress by BCBG MaxAzria, hat by Jane Corbett
- SportsAid Workshop: Goat Vreeland dress, Stuart Weitzman for Russell and Bromley “Half-N-Half Stretch Rider” boots, black Raz/Muse clutch
- Royal Variety Performance: Diane von Furstenberg ‘Zarita’ dress, Jimmy Choo “Cosmic’ heels, Kiki McDonough ‘Lola’ blue topaz hoops, vintage beaded bag
- Place2Be Reception: Hobbs ‘Emilia’ top, Jenny Packham skirt, Alexander McQueen belt, Jimmy Choo ‘Aimee’ pumps, Cassandra Goad Temple of Heaven earrings
- EACH Nook Appeal Launch: Katherine Hooker ‘Ascot’ dress, ‘Aimee’ heels by Jimmy Choo, Stuart Weitzman ‘Raz/Muse’ clutch (‘Raz’ is US name, ‘Muse’ is Russell & Bromley name)
- 1851 Trust Meeting: Alexander McQueen Flared Wool Coat, ASOS Mamalicous dress (unconfirmed), Mulberry Bayswater clutch, Jimmy Choo ‘Aimee’ platform pumps
- New York Arrival: Seraphine Marina coat, Stuart Weitzman ‘Muse’ clutch, unidentified black suede booties
- NY Private Reception: Beulah London Amara dress, Mulberry Bayswater Clutch, Stuart Weitzman ‘Power’ pumps, Kenneth Jay Lane ‘Duchess’ earrings
- NY Child Development Center: Goat Fashion Washington coat, Mulberry Bayswater Clutch, Episode Angel heels, Cornelia James Imogen gloves
- NY Reception & NBA Game: Tory Burch ‘Bettina’ coat, J. Crew Maternity Toothpick Jean (probably), Mulberry Bayswater clutch, Stuart Weitzman ‘Power’ pumps , Patrick Mavros Crocodile Stud earrings
- NY Engagements: Mulberry Double Breasted coat in ‘cerise’, Mulberry clutch, Episode Angel heels, Cornelia James gloves
- NY GREAT Reception: ‘Vanessa’ dress by Seraphine Maternity, Mulberry Bayswater clutch, Episode ‘Angel’ pumps, Cornelia James Imogen gloves, Cartier Trinity Necklace
- NY Met Gala: inky blue Jenny Packham evening gown, Jimmy Choo Cosmic heels, Diamond/emerald earrings and bracelet (unknown origin)
- Beaver Scouts Meeting: UK Scouting i-hoodie, possibly Maternity Toothpick Jean or Maternity Minnie Pant (both by J. Crew), Russell and Bromley Charge-It boots
- Christmas Day: Moloh ‘Turpin’ coat, ‘Betty Boop’ hat from Lock and Company, Emmy Shoes ‘Valerie’ heels, Really Wild Clothing Silk Scarf in Autumnal Partridge, Cornelia James ‘Imogen’ gloves
- Art Room Opening: ‘Naomi’ dress by Madderson London, Bayswater Mulberry clutch, Episode Angel heels
- Fostering Network Engagement: Hobbs Animal Print Dress, Mulberry Bayswater clutch, Stuart Weitzman ‘Power’ pumps, Mirabelle Lolita earrings
- Kensington Engagements: Seraphine Maternity Natasha coat, Seraphine ‘Florrie’ dress, Stuart Weitzman navy ‘Raz’ clutch (carried at Russell and Bromley under ‘Muse‘ name), blue suede Alexander McQueen heels
- 1851 Trust Engagements: Max Mara ‘Villar’ coat, Boat Print Dress from the Alice Temperley Somerset for John Lewis collection, ‘Georgia’ heels by Jimmy Choo, ‘Frome’ bag by LK Bennett
- Children’s Mental Health Video: Jaeger Tile Print Silk Dress, Kiki McDonough Green Amethyst and Diamond Drop earrings, Cartier Ballon de Bleu watch
- Emma Bridgewater/Cape Hill Children’s Centre: Max Mara Sportmax coat, Seraphine ‘Florrie’ dress, LK Bennett ‘Frome’ clutch, ‘Georgia’ suede heels by Jimmy Choo
- Goring Hotel Party: Erdem ‘Darla’ Dress, Muse/Raz clutch by Stuart Weitzman, Alexander McQueen navy suede heels
- Commonwealth Day Service: Alexander McQueen bespoke coat and dress, Jane Taylor hat, Prada clutch and heels, Kiki McDonough Pink Morganite drop earrings
- Margate Engagements: Dalmatian Print Mac coat by Hobbs, Stuart Weitzman ‘Power’ pumps, Mulberry Bayswater Clutch
- Downton Abbey Set: JoJo Maman Bebe Princess Line Maternity Coat, Mulberry Bayswater Clutch, ‘Power’ pumps by Stuart Weitzman
- Afghanistan Commemoration Service: Beulah London Chiara coat, possibly the ASOS ‘Kate’ dress (seen here), the hat appears to be by Jane Taylor, Muse/Raz clutch by Stuart Weitzman, Alexander McQueen navy heels, G. Collins & Sons pendant and earrings
- St. Patrick’s Day: Catherine Walker coat, Emmy ‘Natasha’ clutch, Emmy ‘Valerie’ heels, ‘Betty Boop’ hat by Lock and Company, ‘Imogen’ gloves by Cornelia James, shamrock brooch, Kiki McDonough Citrine Drop earrings
- Brookhill Children’s Centre: Coat by “Private Dressmaker”, Wrap Skater Dress in Polka Dot by ASOS Maternity, Mulberry Bayswater clutch, Stuart Weitzman Power pumps, Kiki McDonough Pink Morganite Earrings, Mappin and Webb Fortune Pendant
- South London Engagements: Double Breasted coat in ‘cerise’ by Mulberry , Mulberry Bayswater clutch, ‘Power’ pumps by Stuart Weitzman, Kiki McDonough Pink Morganite earrings
Now a quick look at some fun facts, beginning with favored colors.
- Favorite color: Black. The Duchess opted for black clothing more than any other color. This doesn’t count the black BCBG dress worn beneath the McQueen Flared Wool Coat Remembrance Sunday. Nor does it count the second wearing of Kate’s DVF Zarita evening gown to a January wedding.
- Running a very close second to black: blue hues. (Some may have noticed I elected to include the separates worn for the Place2Reception in both the ‘black’ and ‘blue’ categories.)
- Pinks and wine/cranberry colors were popular, but not worn nearly as often as blue or black shades. And there was only one red frock this go-round, that lovely ‘Ascot’ dress from Katherine Hooker.
- The Duchess wore several ensembles featuring ivory and brown shades.
Next, a very fast glance at some other numbers, beginning with what designers and retailers Kate wore.
Designers by the numbers:
- Seraphine – 4 pieces: Marina coat, Natasha coat, Vanessa dress, Florrie dress (worn twice)
- Alexander McQueen – 3 pieces: Glen Plaid coat, black ‘Flared Wool Coat’ (worn twice), bespoke pink coat/dress ensemble (worn previously)
- Jenny Packham – 3 pieces: Bespoke blue hi/low gown, inky blue tulle gown, deep teal satin skirt
- Hobbs – 3 pieces: ‘Dalmatian print’ mac coat, black ‘Emilia’ top, brown silk ‘Animal Print’ dress (worn twice)
- Temperley – 2 pieces: ‘Emblem Flare dress, Somerset/John Lewis ‘Boat Print’ dress
- Goat Fashion – 2 pieces: Vreeland dress, Washington coat
- Max Mara – 2 pieces: ivory ‘Villar’ coat, blue SportMax coat
Repeats by the numbers: 7 – we counted 7 styles that the Duchess opted to wear more than once. Kate not only re-wore pieces seen when she was expecting Prince George, she also repeated garments worn for the first time with this pregnancy.
- Previously worn – 3 styles:
- Alexander McQueen bespoke pink ensemble
- Hobbs ‘Dalmatian print’ mac
- Jenny Packham inky blue tulle gown
- New with this pregnancy – 4 garments:
- Mulberry double-breasted pink coat
- Seraphine ‘Florrie’ dress
- Alexander McQueen black ‘Flared Wool’ coat
- Hobbs brown silk ‘Animal Print’ dress
Names new to the royal wardrobe this pregnancy: 2
- Madderson London: Kate wore the ‘Naomi’ dress
- JoJo Maman Bebe: The Duchess wore the label’s ‘Princess Line’ coat
Most Notable Name missing from this maternity wardrobe: Emilia Wickstead
Most Obscure Factoid:
- Number of Saint Andrews Fundraisers attended in each pregnancy while wearing a recycled dress: 1
1) While all of Kate’s official engagements are covered here, there are several instances we did *not* include in our recap. In all but two cases the photos are very poor quality, with many coming via Twitter or Instagram; it is almost impossible to decipher what Kate is wearing. There are two exceptions: December 14 when Kate re-wore her DVF Zarita gown to a wedding, and January 12 when she was photographed leaving Zara, wearing the retailer’s ‘Straight Cut Coat.’ (Those are two times when I was simply unable to license photos.)
- August 30: Kate and William at King’s Cross station, Kate probably in jeans and what looks like one of her Barbour jackets. The Mirror has photos here.
- August 31: Kate & William leaving a restaurant following dinner, Kate wore a sweater and jeans. Camilla Tominey’s story in The Sunday Express is here.
- October 15: Kate & William leaving a building, possibly a doctor’s office; the NY Daily News story is here.
- December 14: The couple attended the wedding of Tom Eaves and Libby Keir; Kate wore her Zarita gown & Really Wild scarf/shawl. The Express photos are here.
- January 12: Kate leaving a Zara store, the Duchess was in Zara’s ‘Straight Cut Coat’, Pop Sugar photos may be seen here.
- Late January: Kate leaving a shop, wearing jeans and Beulah London’s ‘Delaney’ sweater (more in this post).
- February 1: Kate vacationing in Mustique, more info here, photos are here.
- Mid-February: William, Kate & George boarding flight at St. Lucia airport, Pop Sugar photos are here.
2) This is merely an effort to chronicle what Kate wore when she was expecting. I’m sure there is something (perhaps several things!) I have overlooked; hopefully our readers will let me know what was missed so the post can be updated.
3) Not all jewelry information is included; I will be filling that in over the next 24-36 hours.
We will be back next week with our post comparing/contrasting both maternity wardrobes, as well as more ‘fun with numbers – maternity style,’ including a look at shoes, bags and other accessories.